Wetumpka Chamber on Twitter

Wetumpka Chamber on Facebook

Email the Wetumpka Chamber

Wetumpka Chamber Mobile Website

Starting A Business in Wetumpka

Business Licenses & Permits


For a license in Elmore County, apply at:

Probate Office
Elmore County Court House
100 Commerce Street
Wetumpka, AL 36092
(334) 567-1140.


To obtain a business license in Wetumpka, apply at:
 The City Clerks' Office is located at the Wetumpka City Administrative Building

408 S. Main Street

Wetumpka, AL 36092


Hours are Monday - Friday - 8 am - 4:30 pm

Questions? Call (334) 567-5147

To apply for a Wetumpka Business License from the City Clerk's Office, Click here:



Licenses & Permits

When determining what licenses and permits are required for your business, it is essential to determine the federal, state, county and city requirements that must be met. You should obtain the information early in the research process to determine if a particular type of business is allowable in the area you are considering. Every business is required to have a license to operate in Alabama, and there are varying rules, regulations and pricing for every type of business.

Operating a Business in Elmore County

Your business may need an Elmore  County and/or State of Alabama business license. You can go to the Elmore County Courthouse, 100 Commerce Street, Wetumpka, to check on both of these licenses.

Most every person, firm, company, corporation or association engaged in any business, vocation, occupation or profession must obtain a state license, as well as a county license. SCORE has a good checklist of possible permit requirements. The State of Alabama has created a useful website outlining many state business requirements. Title 40-12, Code of Alabama, 1975 covers state license requirements. Additionally, municipalities issue business licenses to do business within their limits. Authority of municipalities is covered in Title 11-51, Code of Alabama, 1975.

The Alabama Department of Industrial Relations, Labor Market Information Division, maintains a website on the Alabama Comprehensive Labor Market Information System (ACLMIS) that provides detailed information for all Alabama Occupational Licenses. Click here for the Alabama Department of Industrial Relations Labor Market Information User's Guide.

The Alabama League of Municipalities provides a listing of the professions that municipal clerks must verify the possession of a state license before they may issue a local license. 

Any questions concerning privilege license laws or store license laws should be directed to: Alabama Department of Revenue, Sales, Use, and Business Tax Division, 50 North Ripley St., Montgomery, AL 36104, (334) 353-7827.

Although zoning regulations prohibit the operation of a business from a residence, in some situations the city does allow persons to use their home as a base of operations for answering the telephone and book keeping procedures. These types of licenses carry stipulations:

  1. No pedestrian traffic to residences for business purposes.    
  2. No situation that could create a nuisance to neighbors.    
  3. Street addresses cannot be listed in advertising. However, a home phone number can be used.

Licensing dealing with minors, door-to-door solicitors and entertainment where children may congregate require a record check by the Police Department prior to the issuance of a license.

If you want to apply for any alcoholic beverage licenses, you must begin the application process at the ABC License Enforcement Division Office located at

101064 Monticello Park
Montgomery, AL 36117
(334) 260-9702(334) 271-1745Autauga, Bullock, Chilton, Dallas, Elmore, Lowndes, Montgomery

District 10 Email: Enforcement.Dist10@abc.alabama.gov

. The application is then carried to the Elmore County Courthouse.

This article will help you get started as an entrepreneur by helping you Choose a Business Name, Choose a Type of Business, Write a Business Plan, Get Incorporated, Study the Demographic Statistics of Wetumpka, Advertising Advice, Marketing, Competitive Analysis, Public Relations and Customer Service Advice :


Call the Local Small Business Administration for further help on starting a new business:


If you need to apply for a liquor license for your business,

Contact the ABC Board here for specific requirements: http://alabcboard.gov/licensing-compliance/how-to-apply

Wouldn't it be great if you had a trusted site you could go to get answers to all your business related questions? We thought so, too.

I'm excited to share with you that QuickBooks has brought together industry experts, CEOs and other leaders to share their expertise and unique insights on how to build a successful business. People who have walked in your shoes and have learned valuable lessons along the way such as:

I hope you enjoy and find value in this brand-new site for small business. We will be updating it frequently so be sure to bookmark the page and visit often to get the latest tips to help your business thrive.

Ken Wach
Vice President, Small Business Group